In this tutorial I will show you how to configure the Unifi UDM Pro VPN for Windows 10. I will take you through the processes of configuring a VPN User and VPN VLAN on the Unifi controller version 6.1.71 of the UDM Pro and then finishing with configuring the Windows VPN client.
Once your logged into your UDM PRO follow these steps below.
- Click on Settings
- Click on Advanced Features
- Scroll Down to Radius
- Locate Default Radius server. On the right hand side click on the dot burger and click Configure.
- Once the page loads flip the switch to blue.
- Type in the secret. You can use my simple password generator to create one.
- No need to change anything in RADIUS Settings section.
- Expand RADIUS Users.
- Click on Create New RADIUS User
- Fill out the form. Type in a VLAN ID that you will want to use. In my case it will be VLAN ID 25. We will configure this VPN VLAN in a moment.
- Select drop down for Tunnel Type and select: 3 – Layer Two Tunneling Protocol (L2TP)
- Select drop down for Tunnel Medium Type and select: 1 – IPv4 (IP version 4)
- Click the blue [Create User] button.
- Click the blue [Apply Changes] button at the bottom to save everything.
- Now we are ready to move onto creating the VPN Network!
- Click on Settings
- Click on Networks
- Click on Add New Network Button
- Give your new network a name, EX: VPN.
- Expand VPN Settings, afterwards click dropdown and select Remote user.
- Enter a Pre-Shared Key. End users will need to use this key as well.
- Lets move onto Gateway/Subnet. My personal preference is to match the third octet with the VLAN ID number. In my case I am using VLAN ID 25 so I would change my Subnet to 192.168.25.1/24.
- Change your IP pool range to accommodate your users.
- Skip steps 25 and 26 if you do not have Internal DNS server \ Domain Controller.
- If you have an Internal DNS server \ Domain Controller you will want to change the Name Server. Click the drop down, change Auto to Manual.
- Enter only the IP addresses of your Internal DNS server \ Domain Controller.
- Now your Finished Click the blue [ Add Network ] button to save everything.
- you can now setup the VPN connection on your Windows 10 computer with the credentials you have created.
Note: By default all network VLAN’s communicate with each other.
How to configure Windows VPN Client
- On your Windows 10 Search Bar, search for vpn.
- Click on VPN settings.
- Once the VPN window is open click on Add a VPN connection.
- Afterwards fill out the information you created on the UDM Pro during the VPN user setup. I high lighted in red what needs to be selected in the drop down windows.
- Now you can successfully Connect to your VPN.
If you are getting the error “The connection was prevented because of a policy configured on your RAS/VPN server.” Click Here: How To Resolve Unifi VPN Access RAS/VPN Server Error for Windows 10