Learn to deploy Wi-Fi profiles using Microsoft 365 Intune Endpoint Manager to streamline network access and enhance security across organizational devices.
When managing a myriad of devices within an organization, ensuring consistent access to WiFi networks while maintaining security standards is crucial. Microsoft 365 Intune Endpoint Manager offers a centralized platform to manage and deploy configuration profiles, allowing administrators to streamline the deployment of WiFi settings across multiple devices. Deploying a WiFi configuration profile is an essential task to enable devices to connect to the designated WiFi network with the predefined settings, thus reducing manual configuration errors and enhancing network security. The following guide provides a comprehensive walkthrough on deploying WiFi configuration profiles using Microsoft Intune Endpoint Manager, outlining each step in detail from creating a new profile to monitoring its deployment, ensuring a seamless implementation process.
To deploy a WiFi configuration profile in Microsoft Intune Endpoint Manager, follow the steps below. This allows you to manage WiFi settings and deliver them to enrolled devices.
- Ensure you have administrative access to Microsoft Endpoint Manager.
- Make sure devices are enrolled in Intune.
Steps to Deploy WiFi Configuration Profile
- Login to the Endpoint Manager:
- Go to Endpoint Manager Portal
- Sign in with your administrative credentials.
- Navigate to Profiles:
- Select “Devices” from the left-hand side menu.
- Go to “Configuration profiles” under the “Policy” section.
- Create a New Profile:
- Click “Create profile”.
- Choose the platform for your devices (e.g., Windows 10 and later, iOS/iPadOS, or Android).
- Profile Type: Templates
- Select “WiFi” as the profile type.
- Configure Profile Settings:
- Give the profile a Name and Description.
- Select your WiFi Type, either Basic or Enterprise.
- Configure the WiFi settings such as
- Connection Name
- Auto connect: yes
- Wireless Security type, Password, etc.
- For advanced settings like Proxy settings or IP settings, configure as per your network requirements.
- Assign the Profile:
- Once the configuration is complete, go to “Assignments”.
- Select “Add Group” and choose the group of users or devices you want the profile to be deployed to.
- Click “Select” after choosing the required group(s).
- Review and Create the Profile:
- Review all the settings and configurations.
- Click “Create” to finalize the profile creation.
- Monitor Deployment:
- After creating the profile, go back to “Configuration profiles”.
- Select your newly created profile.
- Under “Overview” or “Assignments”, monitor the deployment status to see if the profile has been successfully deployed to the assigned devices.
Verifying the Deployment
- Verify on Devices:
- Once deployed, users should see the configured WiFi network available on their devices.
- Verify that the devices can connect to the WiFi network using the configured settings.
- Check Intune Deployment Status:
- Go back to the Endpoint Manager Portal.
- Under the specific WiFi profile, check the “Deployment status” to ensure that the profile has been successfully assigned and is compliant.
If the devices are unable to connect to the WiFi network:
- Ensure that the WiFi settings, such as SSID and password, are correctly configured in the profile.
- Check if the devices are within the WiFi network’s range.
- Make sure the devices are enrolled in Intune and are part of the assigned group for the profile.
- Review any error messages under the deployment status in the Intune portal, and address the highlighted issues.
Deploying a WiFi configuration profile via Microsoft Intune Endpoint Manager allows admins to standardize network access settings across multiple devices, ensuring secure and consistent access to network resources. Regularly monitoring deployment status and troubleshooting, where necessary, will help maintain optimal network performance and security.