In this tutorial I will show you how to Install the latest TP-Link Omada SDN Controller on Ubuntu 20.04 using a DigitalOcean VPS. Tp-Link Omada is very similar to the Unifi Controller so the transition between the two wouldn’t be that difficult.
The current version of TP-Link Omada SDN Controller that we will be installing is 4.2.11. Of course new packages will be released and they can be found on there Omada Software Download Page. You can copy the new URL and append the commands with the new installation package URL.
Lets Get Started
- If you want to use a domain create an A record pointing to VPS server’s public IP address
- Create a VPS server on DigitalOcean. The $5 package will be fine for 100 devices. You can even enable the option to create VPS backups witch is ideal.
- Log into your Digital Ocean account. Create your VPS, mine will be called Omada.PatrickDomingues.com
- Once created they should email you the login information for your VPS.
- To SSH into the server we will be using Putty. Download and install Putty.
- Open up putty and type in the IPv4 address of your server and click open.
- Log into your server with the username and password provided.
- Now lets get started with making sure we have the latest updates installed.
sudo apt-get update sudo apt upgrade sudo reboot
7. One your server is back up and your logged in again lets install Mongo DB using the following command.
sudo apt-get install mongodb
8. Install Java Application with the following command.
sudo apt-get install jsvc
9. Now lets install JDK v8. This is important because TP-Link Omada currently only works with JDK v8.
sudo apt-get install openjdk-8-jdk
10. In this step we will change the version of JDK we want Ubuntu 20.04 to use as default.
sudo update-alternatives --config java
11. You should see mode 0, 1 and 2. Type in the selection 2.
12. Lets install gdebi which is better at executing .deb installations.
sudo apt install gdebi-core
13. Lets have some fun and get started with downloading TP-Link Omada 4.2.11 with the following command.
cd sudo wget https://static.tp-link.com/2021/202102/20210209/Omada_SDN_Controller_v4.2.11_linux_x64.deb
14. Now we want to install the package by using the following command.
cd sudo -i gdebi Omada_SDN_Controller_v4.2.11_linux_x64.deb