In this article, we will cover how to shrink SQL Server .LDF log file, with some simple operations overview and examples covering everything you need to know.
- Locate your Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio software. You can download it from here if you do not have it installed.
- Once you have access to SSMS you have have to expand Databases.
- Find the database in question , Right Click > Properties .
- Once the following window is open click on Options and then find the Recovery model drop down and select (Simple) and then click OK.
- Now lets move forward and run the process to shrink the SQL Server LDF log file.
- Find the database in question and right click it > Tasks > Shrink > Files.
- Change the File type to Log and leave everything else the same and click OK.
- It shouldn’t take too long to shrink the log file, you can review the size its using by going to its stored location and check its size or redoing step 6 and reviewing allocated space.